Website redesigning can drop SEO to the lowest rank if done incorrectly and boost it to the top rank in SERP if done correctly. So, while redesigning website make sure you take care of the following Ultimate Website Redesign SEO checklist.
1. Before Redesigning
a) Measure a few metrices of your website like-
- Web Traffic- Estimate the total number of visitors per page and the average total visit till date.
- Calculate the Bounce rate and how much average time users are spending browsing your website contents.
- Performance Ranking of the Domain
- How many visitors have been converted into real-time customers and the total number of generated ROI.
- Analyze these matrices to understand what improvement your site requires in the redesign process.
b) Plan the keywords
You can use Google’s keyword planner tool to identify the average searches for each keyword. Enter general keywords relevant to your business to generate the new set of keywords that you can use. Watch out the singular and plural form of keywords generating the traffic and do ‘Add to Plan’. After you are done, download all the keywords in an excel sheet containing the guidelines.
c) Download URLs
Download your current site’s URL, metadata and keywords. Analyze your old set of Keywords with the newly downloaded ones to see what you are missing and what additional pages and contents you require. Also, make a point to direct your page to 301 redirect map while it’s under development to avoid the 404 errors in future. Now, as you start making changes in the current site, keep on adding the old URLs to the new one like Old product page URL to the new Product page URL this way. Also while including new keywords make a point to add it in the URL as well. This is the Ultimate Website Redesign SEO checklist before the Redesign Process.
2. During Redesigning
- Make sure to set your website to no index and no follow to prevent duplicate detection by Google.
- Now check your Meta tags and description features. Try to be unique in Page title and Meta description.
- Tae care that your site’s loading speed is extremely fast and images are optimized to a precise size.
- Focus on the UX design keeping in mind about customer’s interest in each page, which part is drawing the maximum traffic, the flow of your website and the sources of your web traffic.
- Your website should have an interesting and catchy look relevant to your business. So, analyze the look and feel of your website and most importantly analyze the strength and weaknesses of your competitors.
- Make sure your site is mobile friendly.
3. After Redesigning
- Before launching website make sure that you transfer your previous Google Analytics code or incorporate a new one.
- To transfer the code go to Admin, click on Tracking Info, then Tracking Code and copy this code to each page of your website.
- Keep an optimized 404 page to reduce the 404 errors
- Include up-to-date HTML and XML sitemap to identify each page of your site
- Create a Robot.txt file to mark the pages that you don’t want to be accessed
- Finally, unblock Googlebot or the no-index part you did in the initial stage from each page header.
For all those who are running an online business, consider the following checklist every time you revamp your website.