Text messages are the easiest way to communicate with family, friends or colleagues. If you use text messaging a lot, there must be thousands of text messages which are stored up from a decade on your iPhone. It is quite a stressful situation when we delete the text messages by mistake or if we have to do a factory reset or complete data wipe out. You may lose some of your precious messages from loved ones or the messages which contains important information. iPhone does not have any app to recover the deleted messages like Android phones have. But you don’t need to worry if you want to recover the text messages on iPhone. We explore some of the ways which will guide you to restore the iPhone messages.
How to recover deleted text messages iPhone using iCloud?
If your iCloud backup turned on before you lost the text messages, then you should be able to restore the messages.
Here are the steps for iPhone data recovery using iCloud.
- Open https://www.icloud.com/ and log in with your Apple ID and password.
- Click on Text Messages icon there. If you don’t see your text messages, then there is no backup for text messages.
- If you see the text messages, search for the ones you need to recover.
- Now go to settings on your iPhone. Select iCloud. Go to Text Messages and turn off.
- Now a pop-up appears which displays “Keep on My iPhone”.
- Now turn on Text Messages on your iPhone in iCloud.
- Tap on Merge and wait for some time. You’ll see the lost messages appear on your iPhone again.
- Tap ‘Merge’, and wait. After a few minutes, the deleted text messages should appear back on your iPhone.
You can also try restoring your iPhone to an iCloud backup, should you have one from before the text messages were deleted. Check in Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage.
How to restore lost text messages on iPhone using iTunes?
Don’t be disappointed if the iCloud backup failed to work. We can recover the lost text messages using iTunes backup. This works most of the times. You can do iPhone data recovery from Mac using iTunes.
There will be a backup created on iTunes whenever your iPhone is connected to Mac. So if you don’t turn off that auto sync option, there must be a backup in iTunes.
- Connect your iPhone to your Mac with which you usually sync it.
- iTunes opens automatically. If not, you manually open it.
- Now click on iPhone in iTunes.
- Click on the button “Restore Backup”.
- Now all the text messages and remaining data which was backed up in iTunes will replace the data on your iPhone. This takes a couple of minutes and may recover the important text message that you have deleted.
How to retrieve the lost data in iPhone using third-party apps?
You may need to try the third-party apps if you have failed to recover the lost messages from iCloud or iTunes. There are many third-party apps which claim that they can recover every lost bit of data. But unfortunately, most of them are not up to the mark. Disk Drill from Pandora Recovery provides one of the best iPhone data recovery solutions (download here). If you are trying to find how to recover iMessages easily, Pandora Recovery seems to have a good reputation. Their pro version is affordable too.
So, there are handful ways to recover the lost text messages on iPhone. You don’t need to worry if you accidentally deleted the messages on iPhone. Try the above methods and share with us about the one which worked for you!