Media Asset Management system is a subsystem of the Digital Asset Management (DAM). It has its origins in the film and television industry. The MAM systems are better suited for the broadcast industry among many others. The MAM solutions are becoming more popular among the TV programme producers, media institutions, leagues, sports networks, and government agencies. Any company building a repository of digital content find MAMs very useful.
The outline of a media broadcast systems can be complicated, but the goal is usually identical – future proofing the video and audio archive, management of large media files, and secure storage with cost-effective and reliable methods. Users of MAM systems may have diverse goals including the curation of a large video file or to share them on social media platforms. Irrespective of these goals, they share a common intent – to be able to store these files in a central location that they can access to search and share the video files.
What can you expect from the latest MAM systems in 2018?
There was a time when all of the safekeeping and archiving was done on DAM systems, but soon the video and audio files became bigger. The video became the leading media file type for all broadcast systems and networks. Experts found that DAM was not flexible or robust enough to handle the large video files securely. MAM has become the centerpiece of the audio and video workflow at the broadcast agencies. The editors can utilize these systems to store their content on a central server and use non-linear editing software platforms like Adobe Premiere to edit these files.
- In 2018, the MAM systems are parts of the central operations. They need to be at the very heart of all media management systems. They increase the efficiency of the workflow in broadcast systems and network content.
- They are no longer isolated platforms that manage your assets, but they are the solution to your workflow problems. Apart from managing the access rights to your content, they provide a set of powerful collaboration tools to the user. In 2018, MAM systems are collaborative platforms that can optimize the orchestration of workflow.
- More and more MAM systems are integrating with cloud technology to offer a comprehensive service to the users. MAM and the cloud host the entire collaborative platform on the cloud. It is an excellent example of Software as a Service (SaaS) and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS). However, MAM in the cloud is where the entire MAM solutions are working on the cloud.
- MAM is helping the users collect metadata on the media assets, information on the users, feedback from the audience and the information on the software infrastructure of the connected services. It is serving business intelligence (BI) to every MAM user.
What solutions are the MAM systems bringing to the media management front?
Although the recent DAM trends show that the lines between MAM and DAM have blurred a little. They share many of the benefits, and they include several features like version control of the audio and video files. Both systems can now store graphics and HD photography for editing and inclusion in movie clips in the future.
- Most modern media asset management system we are seeing this year can handle video files, and they can integrate external software applications including Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro and Avid’s Media Composer seamlessly.
- They can handle interchange of formats. MAM systems of 2018 can meet the content updating requirements including A/V content edits.
- They provide a cloud platform for multiple users and departments in real time. As a result, they can lower storage space and collaboration costs by providing a centralized storage platform.
What are the latest inclusions in the MAM software services?
If you know which MAM software to work with, it can reduce the expense, work, and complexity of the entire process. They have increased storage capacity and user-friendly interfaces for easy retrieval and search of files.
Here are some of the other trending features you can expect from the latest versions of the MAM systems –
Long-term management of media
You can get all-time online access for images, audio and video files stored on the cloud. You can access your archive and manipulate your content. The cloud gives you direct access to the audience as well. You can access the stored files a month or a year from now. You can save them in different categories and folders using easily searchable tags.
Make media management profitable
Who had imagined that management of media can be profitable as well? Some of these platforms come with integrated payment gateways. They allow your customers to pay directly to your account via credit cards and debit cards. Pick your packages, create pricing tables and set billing intervals to make your MAM experience rewarding.
Search-friendly and customizable
There is nothing media managers, graphics creators and artists want more than a customizable interface. The new 2018 MAM systems are entirely customization-friendly. Moreover, they provide an intuitive UI with search-friendly elements. You and your audience can find, play and edit your media directly.
Secure access to media
These systems provide several levels of access depending on the authentication details. While your audience and potential buyers will have a different level of access that allows them to browse the content and hit “buy,” you will have complete access to the editing and management options. If you have intermediary editors and content managers, you can restrict their access to certain types of media and not the others. The new MAM systems are sophisticated when it comes to offering the user control over access of content.
The modern MAM systems can meet all your media management, secure storage, and editing requirements. They can include hierarchical storage that enables the storage of massive amounts of complex data formats in an easily searchable orderly manner.