With the end of 2018 and a kick-start to 2019 approaching, there are some major challenges to the ITSM software library that are expected. ITIL is the framework that has been globally adopted for maintenance, delivery and design of IT services, and ITIL has published certain new guidelines regarding its upgrades that would be challenging for the ITSM systems. In the early phase of 2019, ITIL is launching ITIL 4. This launch is being considered as the biggest upgrade in the IT service management systems since 2011. It is high time now that the ITSM library sheds some newer and faster updates because the last big update was almost 8 years ago, and the technology has drifted and changed drastically since then. So it only makes sense to introduce these changes in the forthcoming year. Dynamism is one thing that technology can rely upon as with times, technology changes too. And if the ITSM software does not keep up with the changing technology, then soon another inclusive technology would take over it. And this change would prove to be highly disadvantageous for the entire ITSM services. So the ITSM tools and management needs to be upgraded as well. This introduction of ITIL 4 is a step towards achieving the same. It is a step towards progress. ITIL 4 is expected to be the solution for all the various kinds of challenges and loopholes being face by the IT service management in contemporary times.
This article will discuss the parameter of these challenges, the shortcomings of the current ITIL and how ITIL 4 will change the face of IT service management sector in the coming year 2019:
Challenges to ITSM- So there are 4 major challenged faced by the IT service management in today’s time-
- The ITSM tools adopted like IT4IT, they were primarily designed to rectify the challenged faced by a specific team or department. But this has not been a very fond practice in the industry. It is, in fact, mismanaged.
- The bimodal approach was inculcated to fulfill business needs in unpredictable circumstances. But this approach was disproved over the time as it was deemed to be not useful. Businesses started to prefer the multimodal approach over bimodal.
- The business strategies of focusing more on the product of the business rather than their service management are given more heed whereas, it is not the call of the hour. The need of the hour is service management and not product management.
Bad practices in ITSM- The challenges faced by the IT service management sector have given rise to a certain level of bad practices in the industry which bears no good. These practices are mostly intangible and invisible to the naked eye, but the effect is felt by the business-
- IT service management providers believe that the services they are providing to their customers are top notch and invincible, but in reality, their service does not keep the customers happy. It is because less attention is paid to the service category and more on the product, that the customer feels neglected and in return is unsatisfied.
- ITSM sector is not a straightforward, simple structure. It devises complex tools and processes that cannot be practiced without recapitulated practices. But businesses expect to find an easier way out and look for linear solutions, which is not how ITIL can function.
ITIL 4 solutions-
- The current ITIL system is very complex and highly inclusive which confuses the user as to where to start. But the new ITIL upgrade, ITIL 4, resolves this issue. Its outlook is more structured, practical and lean. The integrated design allows the researchers to make continuous updates in the system that are more swift and contemporary.
- The themes that evolve frequently do not have the leverage of being upgraded into the system at a continuous momentum. But the new upgrade in the IT service management ITIL 4, lays down a new ITSM tool, which allows that upgrade in no time. This has been introduced to realize the importance of the subject matter and the need for their timely updates.
- The main objective of the ITIL upgrade is to give a more practical approach to the IT service management system. Although the current framework already allows operation on DevOps, Lean and Agile, but it is operable independently. With the new update, the software promotes a more vibrant collaboration of all such platform. They can be operated collectively rather than individually.
- The new update also focuses on making the IT service management professionals’ lives easier. It allows for easier and friendlier features to integrate already functioning ITSM tools with newer practices. The integration would be smooth and not too heavy.
- The update has also focused on implementing automated operations in the entire framework. This is being given significance so that repetition of work and redundancy can be avoided because the pressure of repeating the same work falls directly on the employees. This affects their performance. Thus automation in the present framework is being introduced and worked upon.