Are you looking for a tutorial on how to remove lug nut? Before we deal into this topic, let’s first define what lug nuts do. They function to secure your wheel to the car. But then, there will come a time when you need to replace one or two of them by loosening and removing them also when you change a tire. Removing lug nuts also apply when you need to perform a repair on your car or access the brakes.
How to Remove Lug Nut
Learning how to loosen it is one of the most essential skills to possess if you own a car. No one knows when your tire goes flat and it needs fixing. Worry not though, as removing lug nuts is easy. You can make use of a couple of tricks to remove eve stuck on nuts.
Things you will need
- Lug wrench
- Optional: frame stand
- Before loosening the lug nuts, park the car and set your brakes.
- If there is a hubcap, remove it and look for the lug nuts. You might have to remove the hubcap based on your car’s type. It is done before accessing and loosening the lug nuts. You can find the hubcaps held on the lug nuts, or they are attached by metal clips.
- Check for locking lugs, which are used for preventing car theft. Usually, you’ll also find one locking lug nut for every wheel, and one will need a unique key before you can unlock and then loosen a lock on the end of the lug nut.
- Get a lug wrench, which is also called a tire tool, a t-bar, or a tire iron. It usually comes with your car’s tire kit together with a spare time and a jack. A lug wrench must fit the lug nut perfectly. And in most cases, you won’t need any other tools to remove the lug nut.
- Start loosening the lug nuts while your car is parked. Never jack up the vehicle before attempting to loosen the lug nuts. But instead, you must make use of the resistance coming from the ground and tire’s contact to it. This will ensure that you can remove it easily.
- Put the lug wrench on the lug nut. Start turning it counter-clockwise. Once you have secured the wrench onto the lug nut, you can start turning the wrench while pulling it hard until it starts loosening. You also just have to loosen the lug nut until when it can easily be removed with your fingers.
- Keep loosening the bolts without thinking about which lug nut was loosened first. You must pick one, and then keep moving around your bolts following a star pattern. However, you must also skip a lug nut, which is adjacent to one of those you have just removed. It is to ensure that the wheel remains in the center, especially when installing a wheel. This practice is also good to follow when trying to loosen the bolts.
- Once you have loosened the bolts, you should jack your car up before removing the lug nuts and spinning them off by your hand. Whatever project you plan of working on, you can remove the wheel completely once you’ve completed the above steps. Now if the task requires not just replacing a wheel, you must be able to put a frame stand just under your vehicle until you have completed the project.
Additional Pro Tips
Removing lock lugs with a wheel lock remover
If you have lost the key to the locked lugs, use a special socket head for removing locks. Its heads feature reverse threads used for biting into the lock, and then loosening such without a key. Such heads are also ideal for removing rounded-off lug nuts, which might be hard to disengage. Usually, you will find them online and in many auto parts stores. Snap the wheel lock remover onto the socket wrench’s head before locking it into position. Get your breaker bar before you turn the locked as you normally do.
Replacing lug nuts with a torque wrench
Use a torque wrench if you’re replacing lug nuts, which are hard to remove due to over-tightening during the past tire change. This time, you can take care and tighten them using the correct specifications with a torque wrench. First, check your manual and look for the torque specification. Next, you need to lock that into position using the locking collar. Also, you should tighten the lug nuts following a star pattern. To make sure that lug nuts are tight, repeat it twice.
Learning how to remove lug nut is one of the best skills to possess if you’re a car owner. So the next time you’re stuck on the road and need a wheel change and lug nut removal, you would know what to do. Refer to this guide for quick reference. Finally, share it on social media and help others today!