If you want to prepare yourself for an in-demand tech career with off the charts earning potential, data science is likely to be an option that’s high on your list of considerations. There are many reasons you might want to pursue a career in data science, but there are also two significant drawbacks:
- It’s hard.
- It involves multiple components like math, statistics, machine learning and computer programming. So it can be challenging to figure out how to not only learn the necessary subjects, but also to wrap your head around using them together rather than thinking of them as entirely separate fields.
So how do you learn data science? Let’s discuss 4 of the smartest ways to approach it.
Having experienced data scientists teach you is the quickest and easiest path to learning what you really need to know about data science.
This is now easier to do than ever before, because universities have recently caught on to the fact that massive numbers of data scientist jobs are going unfilled right now. They’ve been pushing hard to attract great data science instructors and add relevant data science classes to their course catalogs. So if you’re a recent high school graduate, you’ll find that many universities now offer bachelor’s degree programs in data science. If you already have a bachelor’s degree, and you’ve been part of the workforce for a while, a Masters in Data Science is the logical choice of degree programs.
The info you need to learn data science is available online – and a whole lot of it is even available for free. If you can manage to figure out where to get it and motivate yourself to actually complete the courses, you’ll be set. Here are some links to get you started:
- Udacity’s Intro to Descriptive Statistics Course
- Udacity’s Intro to Data Science Course
- Udacity’s Intro to Inferential Statistics Course
- Codecademy’s Learn Python Course
- Linear Algebra MOOCs at EDX.org
- Probability and Statistics MOOCs at EDX.org
Data science books are also useful for learning the field. Buy them, read them, and, most importantly, practice applying the info in them. Here are a couple of the titles you might want to consider:
- Data Science for Business
- Learn Python the Hard Way
Usually, the best way to learn any new skill is practicing that skill. A data science internship will allow you to practice and gain valuable work experience. Check out this list of data science internships if this approach appeals to you.
So there you have it: 4 of the smartest ways to become proficient with data science. If you’re interested in launching a career as a data scientist, these are the methods you’ll want to consider. They aren’t the only possible ways to learn data science, but they’re 4 of the easiest approaches to learning this topic, which isn’t at all simple to master.