Cisco Systems is an American Multi-national conglomerate dealing in technology related products and services. It is mainly into developing, manufacturing and selling of networking hardware, telecommunication equipment and other high-technology services and products.
For Working in Cisco as an employ, you need to have a valid Cisco certification, for which you need to pass various brackets of exams held by Cisco itself.
Types of Cisco certification
There are various types of Cisco certifications, for which you can opt for. But among those these are the majorly opted certifications by people:
- Cisco 200-125 Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA v3.0).
- Cisco 100-105 Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 1 (ICND1 v3.0).
- Cisco 300-115 Implementing Cisco IP Switched Networks (SWITCH v2.0).
- Cisco 210-260 Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS v3.0)
Description and Objectives:
- CCNA v3.0: Through this certification a professional’s ability to understand, configure, operate, and troubleshoot medium-level switched and routed networks is validated. It also includes the implementation of connections with verification via remote sites using WAN.
- Validates one’s specific technical skills.
- Considerably increases the professional credibility.
- Have better prospects of occupying stable job positions in reputed companies.
- ICND1 v3.0: Through this certification, candidate’s knowledge and skills related to network fundamentals, LAN switching technologies and routing technologies are tested. Along with that, infrastructure services and infrastructure maintenance skills are also tested.
- Knowledge about network fundamentals.
- Know how to build simple LANs.
- Validates the ability to manage and secure network devices.
- Have the ability to expand small- to medium- sized networks.
- SWITCH v2.0: This course is considered as an advanced course on Cisco switching planning, configuring and verifying the implementations of complex enterprise switching solutions.
- Ability to learn and reinforce understanding through a wide range of integrated lab scenarios.
- Implementation and optimization of STP mechanism that best suits one’s network.
- Ability to configure routing on a multilayer switch.
- IINS v3.0: this certification makes the candidates deploy basic security techniques utilizing a variety of popular security appliances within a “real-life” network infrastructure.
- Ability to secure routing and switching infrastructure.
- Ability to deploy basic firewalling services.
- Ability to deploy basic site-to-site and remote access VPN services.
Advantages of Cisco certification
- Skill Mastery: Getting a certification is very important nowadays. If you are a certified candidate, it means that you are a professional in the field. Certification in Cisco courses would lead to proven skill mastery of technical knowledge.
- Career Advancement: Being a professional in the field, you get opportunities of getting greater jobs. Nowadays, companies look for the best ones in the required field and hire those who have sound knowledge in the same. Cisco certifications help you to get professional knowledge and subsequently help in career advancement.
- Higher Earning Potential: Naturally with greater job opportunities, you get higher salaries. Reports show that IT professionals with certifications earn higher average salaries that those without certification. So, attaining a Cisco certification would lead you to earn a higher average salary.
Major Job Roles
As Cisco is a leader in network services, with many large and small companies using its network equipment and software. The major job roles offered by Cisco are focused across these target audience:
- Network security specialist.
- Security technicians.
- System engineers.
- Network consultants.
- System integrators.
- Principle System engineers.
- Cisco channel partners.
Cisco certifications are uniquely positioned to assist IT professionals as they prepare to fulfil various career roles. You can opt for roles like system administrator, technician, analyst, or network administrator.
How to give Cisco exams?
There are comprehensive lists of training institutes and self-study resources. Some IT professionals can pass the certification exam after some self-study, but most of the professionals do better when they are exposed to a classroom environment and learn from trained instructors. This gives them study partners and interactive experiences.
These institutes offer courses that train students in the information and skills they need to pass the Cisco certification examinations and advance their IT careers. So, get trained by the right institute or do self-study, but the ultimate goal is to have a great career ahead and achieve greater heights with whatever path you choose.