A Social Security Card (SSC) is an important document with a unique nine-digit number, provided to all the citizens, permanent residents and temporary working residents by the Social Security Administration (SSA) in the United States. It is necessary to possess a Social Security Card, as the government monitors your income and working years to provide unemployment or retirement benefits or Social Security disability income. A Social Security Card is also needed to get a job, to apply for passports and driver’s license, and to avail Healthcare or public assistance programs.
The Following Steps Are To Be Followed For Applying For A Replacement Social Security Card:
- You can apply for a Replacement Social Security Card at https://www.application-filing-service.com/socialsecuritycard/lost-and-replacement-social-security-cards/ by downloading an SS-5 form and filling in the application with the provided instructions.
- Apply to the mail or at the local SSA office, the address of which can also be found on the website.
- The form is to be submitted with the necessary original ID proofs that confirm your age, identity, and your citizenship or current immigration status. Make sure all the documents are originals or certified copies since SSA does not accept photocopies or attested documents.
- A replacement Social Security card can also be applied using your “my Social Security” account for free.
- You’ll get your replacement card through the mail, and it will have the same name and number as your previous card.
How To Apply For A Social Security Card?
Applying for a Social Security Card has been made easier by the federal government, and it can be done with the following steps.
- Assemble all your documents like birth certificate, driver’s license or a passport that confirm your age, identity, and your citizenship or current immigration status.
- In case, the aforesaid documents are not available; the SSA will also accept valid ID’s with your photograph, name, age or date of birth like school ID, military ID or an ID provided by your healthcare provider.
- Make sure to provide original documents or certified copies of the originals since photocopies or attested copies are not accepted.
- You can apply for a Social Security Card in the official SSA website or open a “my Social Security” account which allows you to monitor and manage your Social Security benefits and also, to make changes to your Social Security records.
What To Do If You Lose Your Social Security Card?
With the increased risk of theft and the rare use of your Social Security card, there are chances of losing or misplacing it. At times like that, you should apply for a replacement card for you might need it at certain circumstances like applying for a job since your employer needs to report your income to the Social Security Administration through Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
It is better to avoid help from service providers who get your replacement card and charge you for their services. An individual is entitled to a replacement card only three times in a year and ten times in a lifetime. So, it is recommended to keep your card safely and not to carry it around unless particularly necessary. However, for change in name or immigration status and other exceptions, these limitations don’t count.